Here is what happens when you consume an energy drink, many of the blood levels and cardiovascular changes were marked:
- Systolic blood pressure (the top number) - 6.2 percent increase
- Diastolic blood pressure (the bottom number) - 6.8 percent increase
- Average blood pressure - 6.4 percent increase
- Heart rate - none
- Caffeine in blood - increase from undetectable to 3.4 micrograms/mL
- Norepinephrine level (the stress hormone, which can give you the shakes when you have too much caffeine) in blood - increase from 150 pg/mL to 250 pg/ML
Writing in JAMA, the researchers said that these changes may predispose those who drink a single drink to increased cardiovascular risk.
This may explain why a number of those who died after consuming energy drinks appeared to have had heart attacks.
The image above points out that you still feel the effects 5-6 hours after you've had your drink.