What is the best sunscreen and how do I apply it properly?
Memorial Day begins the unofficial start of summer and the official tanning and sunburn season begins. So it is prudent to lather up to keep your skin from prematurely aging, protect it from harmful UV Rays and keep your skin youthful and healthy.
Let's start with the best value on the market.
Walmart has a sunscreen that retails for $9.
- Equate Ultra Protection SPF 50, a Walmart brand, $9.
Coppertone's formula is a classic that always scores high marks.
- Coppertone Water Babies SPF 50, $10.50
Banana Boat is the one I like to wear when I teach outdoor FitCampNYC classes.
- Banana Boat Sun Comfort Continuous Spray SPF 50+, $11. (It's a spray on)
The best is
- La Roche-Posay's Anthelios 60 Melt-In Sunscreen Milk, $36.
- Vichy Capital Soleil 50, $28.50.
Spray on brands
(The aerosol is not made to be inhaled, please do not spray on your face! Spray on to your hands and apply to your face. )
- Banana Boat Sun Comfort Continuous Spray SPF 50+, $11.
- L'Oreal Quick Dry Sheer Finish 50+, $11.
How much do you need?
A teaspoon per body part is ideal. A teaspoon for 1 arm, another for the other limb, etc...
Keep this knowledge handy throughout the summer and enjoy your Memorial Day!
Source: Consumer Reports and the Today Show